I'm gonna keep a list of all the movies I watch this year. I'll probably mostly be watching films in Spanish, but I'm not exclusive! I frequently watch movies by director, or just give stuff a try based on what's about to go off streaming. If you have any movies you think I'd like, you can drop recommendations here
Here's me making a list:
- Senorita (Sandoval, 2011, Criterion)
- Lingua Franca (" , 2019, Netflix, En)
- Apparition (" , 2012, Criterion)
- in progress: Crumbs (Llansó, 2015, Criterion) [RIP this left CC before i got back to it i guess if i want to see it i'll have to seek other methods 9.9 -- but i (7/8/21) do keep thinking about it and would like to see the end]
- El ángel exterminador (Buñuel, 1962, Criterion, Es)
- TV: Los Espookys (2020, HBO, Es) [probably won't be regularly listing tv but this made the grade.]
- Frantz Fanon: Black Skin, White Mask
Directed by Isaac Julien • 1995, Criterion, En/Fr primarily* (this was good. you can tell he wanted to be a multi panel video installation artist though)
- White Elephant
Directed by Pablo Trapero • 2012 • Argentina -- I am enjoying this -- Ive learned about Pdr Carlos Mugica (in the movie you see the same memorial (eta 7/1, turns out it's his tomb which makes sense lol) that's in this documentary) and some of his context. I also found out about this beautiful but unrelated church lol. Nyman score was a good complement to it too.
- CaranchoDirected by Pablo Trapero • 2010 • Argentina -- This was good! not good enough i'm mourning missing out on the third one tbh but i liked it a lot. Same leading actors as WE, well paced, i think. I'm kind of tired atm but i'm glad i went back and watched the end of this lol bc i realized yesterday i remembered the credits but not the end. and the end was pretty memorable. With headphones on I think my comprehension is getting to around 75%! Not a super wordy movie but since i havent spent much time with Argentinean media i feel pretty alright about that. Also i keep on hating Cr*ter*on's interface. it's ltierally just vimeo wrapped in 16 DRMs. subtitles are hard coded (and very much not closed capitioning. which they don't have. plus vimeo's subtitle handling is shit iirc!) and i'm basically convinced it's there to frustrate ppl into buying DVDs :)
- Simplemente Manu NNa (2017, Netflix,ES) (this was alright but tbh of about average netflix special quality. I had seen NNa's segment in another Mx LGBTQ Netflix production, maybe it was more recent or the surrounding material was stronger. fell asleep watching it >.> half by design, may not revist.)
- Todos a la Carcel wiki Es. I stopped watching this. it was crude and kinda boring.
- leaving june 30 21
- Lion’s Den
Directed by Pablo Trapero • 2008 • Argentina
- LB born in Flames
- Burnett, Anger
- also to watch: Some of my Best Friends Are(1971, on Prime)
- La casa lobo (León & Cociña, Chile, 2018, Es De Criterion) -- so far -- historically situated stop motion parable. or perhaps propoganda. not a piece of the world i had directly head of before today. the children's tale quality of the language makes it good language practice too! -- Now that I've finished it: I may well be thinking about this movie for the rest of my life. I followed it with a short documentary on the "Colonia Dignidad" by Al Jazeera. Lobo's specific vantage of it is chilling and just incredibly realized. Would highly recommend. The movie itself doesn't address many of Dignidad/Schaeffer's horrors directly, but certainly brace yourself especially when looking into it. For more on the creative process of the film, Ten Film-making Rules of La casa Lobo, Cartoon Brew 2018; for a longer form review, inc. plot summary, this was good.
- Rey, Atallah 2017, Es, Chile -- Checking this out because Atallah is a frequent collaborator of León & Cociña, and because I'd never heard of de Tounens or any of the history in that area of the world tbh. I learned some but mostly in the course of trying to figure out the names of people mangled by .srt limitations lol. This may be a strange or petty gripe, but as soon as I realized de Tounens died before the moving film era the sort of vintage, scratchy film effects started to really bother me! I had already found them a bit distracting frankly. There were things I liked about it. de Tounens seems sort of like an Emperor Norton on steroids frankly, and the film does give the same balance of mad to inspired. But still -- he had published recollections, why pretend there's damaged film? It was even divided into chapters, maybe they had planned to..
- I Think You Should Leave s2 lived up to my expectations and i keep remembering parts of it and laughing, so.
- obj of desire 77(Es, Fr). Charming tbh. Somehow only just realized this is the other directorial half of chein andelou though lol
- canoa: hecho verguenza (76, canals, events: 67?, .Mx Es, Cruterion + hablando Cuaron on Criterion) !!!!
- Living End, Araki, 92;
- leaving july 31 21
- Death Takes a Holiday, 1934, Leisen, pre code (cf. Midnight, 39;Murder at the Vanities 1934)
- smiley face
- Discreet Charm, Bunel, 72(fr); Diary of a Chambermaid 64(in Fr, might skip);
- Moments without proper names. Parks, 87
- Blue Angel
- Grisgris Harou2013
- I am Somebody, Madeline Anderson, 1970; integration report 1960
- well around here I lost track. I watched The Living End, a Mexican/Netflix production Como caido Cielo a light comedy about a classic actor who dies, is tested for redemption when he comes back in am impersonators body. silly. mostly I have been watching a *35 episode* historical drama de Peru (in the independence period, first decades of 1800)again via Netflix thats been very enjoyable: the last bastion. well rounded characters from all walks of life with a lot of attention to historical detail and human dignity in difficult circumstances.. so far only one episode has had borked subtitles but yeh I've mostly been watching that! I probably fucked.up the html here bad but uh that will motivate me to fix it on my laptop. I hope ;(
To learn more HTML/CSS, check out these tutorials!
* my beef with criterion's subtitling department continues. in this case the subtitle track was missing just 1 out of every 10 spaces for some reason. watch this space bc i will keep complaining.
ps anybody know a good way to make a multi level list >.> nvm html does this on it's own love u html xoxo